Decorating a small outdoor space can be much easier than you might think. Smaller spaces are perfect for having a bit of fun and unleashing your creativity. From courtyards to balconies follow these easy tips you will have your dream outdoors in no time.
Before you get started with any project it is a good idea to know what you want the finished project to look like and plan how to get there. When working with smaller areas this is even more important because you just don’t have the luxury of squeezing that huge sofa in and making it fit.
- Plan and measure and then measure again. Sketch a floorplan and make note where you have walls vs. windows and doors and in what direction they open.
- Start a pinterest board or tear pages out of magazines. Once you have collected a few images you will start to see repetitions in shapes, colours and even plants.
Having a clear idea of what you like will help you choose pieces that you love. And if you need somewhere to get started take a look at the Olan Living Pinterest - we have stacks of inspiration for you.
- Consider how you will use the space - you may have to choose between a dining table and a lounge setting.
- Choose multipurpose furniture: Opt for furniture pieces that serve multiple functions or have built-in storage. One of my favourites is to use drum stools as occasional (side) tables - that way when you need extra seating - it is right there. A basket tucked under the coffee table is a great place to start.
- Think vertically: Take advantage of vertical space by installing wall-mounted shelves or hooks for hanging plants, lanterns, or small decor items. This will free up valuable floor space while adding visual interest.
- Create a focal point: Choose a focal point for your outdoor space to draw the eye and create a sense of depth. It could be a small water feature, a vibrant piece of artwork, or a cozy seating area with colorful cushions.
- Lighting: Lighting can transform the ambiance of any outdoor space. Use string lights, lanterns, or small LED lights to create a warm and inviting atmosphere during the evening hours.
- Add a rug: A small outdoor rug can define the seating area while adding texture and color. Choose a rug made of weather-resistant materials that can withstand outdoor conditions. At Olan Living we stock a large range of polyproponol rugs that withstand the environment, are easy to clean and at the end of their long life are recyclable.
- Incorporate mirrors: Mirrors can create an illusion of space by reflecting light and making the area appear larger. Consider adding a decorative mirror on a wall or fence to enhance the visual appeal of your outdoor space. Pay attention to what that mirror will be reflecting - you don’t want to capture the neighbour's airconditioning unit.
- Accessorize with colour. White can add a calming but vibrant touch while bright cushions, pillows, and outdoor rugs can add a pop of color to your small outdoor space, making it feel more lively and inviting.
Remember, the key to decorating a small outdoor space is to prioritize functionality and utilize the available space creatively. By incorporating these tips and ideas, you can transform your outdoor area into a cozy and stylish retreat.